or
Forgot your password?
Request a new one!
Support
Like on FacebookLike on Facebook
Vote for AVATAR at TopMudSites!
Vote for AVATAR on TMC!
Follow us on Twitter
Donate to AVATAR using PayPal - Thank you!
Polls
What is your favorite anniversary event?
- view results -
Newbie Tip
Sick of having to repeatedly press continue when reading helpfiles, notes etc? Check out HELP PAGE to find out how change your default page length to suit your preference. - Riviat
Users Online
Guests Online: 2
No Members Online

Member Count: 528
Newest: Troyu
View Thread
Author You Should read these Books
Lorimel

Posted on Feb 05 2009 15:37
Without reservation I offer the following :

ANYTHING by Roger Zelazney -altho deceased, perhaps the finest author.

Anything By Fred Saberhagen.

EVERYTHING by Jack Chalker.

Anything by Lawrence Watt Evans

Anything by Dave Duncan

EVERYTHING by Tim Powers.

Anything you can find by Ian Wallce. Hard to find, worth seeking.

Everything by Dan Simmons - do a google on how this author got discovered, it'll blow your mind.

EVERYTHING by Eric Frank Russell - I am 100% certain you have NEVER heard of this guy before, he was a GOD among men when it came to writing Science Fiction. Hunt down his works, you will be GLAD you did I promise you.

EVERYTHING by Evan Hunter AKA Ed McBain. Quite simply the FINEST Mystery Novels ever written in his 87th Precinct series. If you like the Mystery Genre and have not previously read these, I envy you for you are in for a GREAT treat.
As Evan Hunter, his classic, The Blackboard Jungle, is well known and well worth reading and rereading. Lesser known but equally good are his Last Summer and Come Winter, altho he always spoke of a third novel to complete theis tale, he died before he ever penned it. Simply SUPERB, altho somewhat disturbing on MANY levels.

Paul Mann - The George Sansi Mysteries - STARTLINGLY well written
Enjoy
Author RE: You Should read these Books
laazarus

Posted on Feb 05 2009 16:02
i'll add

for dark & surreal steampunk-ish fantasy: china mieville, jeff vandermeer, k.j. bishop.

neal stephenson is a classic of several types of intelligent speculative fiction.

for sci-fi: iain m. banks should not be missed.
Riviat

Posted on Feb 05 2009 16:07
There was an earlier thread called Book Recommendations in this forum that you should also check out.
Lorimel

Posted on Feb 05 2009 17:17
Riviat wrote:
There was an earlier thread called Book Recommendations in this forum that you should also check out.

thats what spawned thsi one
Trevaine

Posted on Feb 07 2009 03:23
I don't read a gerat deal of science fiction but I did read and did enjoy Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons. On the strength of those I read Hyperion which is generally considered to be his best and I though it was garbage so I have not bothered reading any more of his stuff.

Going with the sci-fi/speculative theme of this thread it is impossible to not mention Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. These two are among my favourite books, Truly excellent.
laazarus

Posted on Nov 03 2009 03:08
re-reading neal stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" again after 10 years and i must say it's even better the second time. a great classic work for anyone who loves math, history, WWII, the internet, cryptology, and/or good smart humorous storytelling.

Jump to Forum:

34831938 Unique Visits